Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The Sort of Biggest Cross

So this is what you see from the interstate near Groom, TX.






It is 190 feet tall and had the claim of being the largest cross in the western hemisphere.  But someone in Illinois built one that was 8 feet taller.  Florida also got in on the act and has one that is 208 feet. 

I guess this was pretty impressive back in 1995 when it was built.  I'm sure that the contrast of this against the flat prairie was impressive.  Now there is a wind farm on the other side of the interstate.  Seeing these taller wind turbines for a few miles made spotting the actual cross a bit anti-climatic.  Oh well, I guess they had a good run.

2 comments:

  1. I think the distinction (I use that word loosely) is it is the tallest "metal siding" cross. Quiz: The man who funded and built it is in what industry?

    Father Brother Tim Sean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure this is a moving target and will one day be the "tallest aluminum alloy" cross. Not sure of who funded it was, but I'd bet it was oil or cattle.

      Delete